Yesterday, like most days, I received a mailer from American Express. Most of the time, the mailers I get are junk, but this one actually had some valuable information.
The Business Gold Rewards Card from American Express OPEN is adding a new benefit starting September 16, 2013. You will now earn 2x points on US purchases made directly from select computer hardware, software, and cloud computing providers.
No action is required for you to earn the new 2x category bonus, but your earnings are capped at $100,000 in (each) category. Computer hardware, software and cloud computing are all one category. From the American Express Business Gold website:
“The providers must have these specific names: Apple, CDW, Dell, HP, IBM, Intuit, Lenovo, Microsoft, Newegg, Oracle, Rack Space, Sage Software, Salesforce.com, Symantec, and Tiger Direct.
You will NOT earn additional rewards if the purchase is made through a third-party (including resellers and online marketplaces) or through a third-party payment account”.
I’m always pumped to see an opportunity to earn extra miles on Apple products. Apple usually isn’t an option in shopping portals, or if it is, it doesn’t have a nice bonus. So this definitely helps! Too bad I just bought a new Macbook Air – but it was through a third party site, and I went through Big Crumbs to receive cash back.
Another opportunity for me to earn extra points is Rack Space, which I use to host a few sites. And the hosting isn’t cheap, because it rocks.
The Business Gold card already has some nice earning potential with 3x points on airfare, and 2x points on advertising, gas stations, and shipping. I know of some businesses that make hundreds of thousands of Membership Rewards points a year by running their shipping through their Business Gold. I wish I could do that.
Jordan and I both have the Amex Business Gold card for our businesses and already take advantage of its current bonus categories. It’s always a good thing when a card adds some benefits! Especially ones that you can take advantage of, like bonus categories you’re already spending in.
If you would like to apply for the Business Gold card, the link is below. I do receive a referral credit if apply through my links. I’m truly grateful for the support if you do!
The full marketing details:
- Get 25,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $5,000 in purchases on the Card within the first 3 months of Card Membership
- Built with business-sized purchasing power and fast rewards
- 3X points on airfare purchased directly from airlines
- 2X points on US purchases for advertising in select media, shipping, at gas stations, and made directly from select computer hardware, software, and cloud computing providers
- Up to $100,000 in each category per year, then 1 point
- Use points to entertain clients, reward employees, reduce travel costs, or just offset the everyday expenses of moving your business forward
- Terms and limitations apply
— Geoff Whitmore